Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Bit of Inspiration

My husband and I packed the two babies in the car this weekend and went for a drive to the country.  It was a semi-planned getaway to give us some much needed R&R.  We stayed in a small town named Bovina (yes, derived from cow) in upstate New York that has a special place in my heart because it's where my mom, who is now 84, grew up.  We stayed at a small inn just up the road from the house that my mom grew up in.  The view from our room was spectacular and my imagination just soared thinking about her playing in the meadows and exploring the same countryside that I walked through with my toddler.

Growing up, my parents often packed up the car and we drove to the same small town for the weekend.  Part of our ritual was going to a local auction.  It was something that I always looked so forward to doing.  My parents would always have a story to tell when various pieces were presented about what the piece was used for or how popular a piece was during a certain generation or how they had a similar piece on display in their home when they were first married.  It's what made me love vintage.

So this weekend, I returned to the auction. I would have loved for my parents to have been there to tell the stories to me, but this time it was my turn to recreate the stories on my own.  As each piece came up for bid, I thought about who may have owned it, how it was acquired, and the story it told.  It's still why I love vintage.

View of the Valley, Bovina, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment